Easy homemade jalapeno cheddar cornbread is a perfect side dish! This crispy, crumbly, cheesy and spicy cornbread will have you drooling!
Ingredients needed for cornbread generally include cornmeal, flour, buttermilk and eggs. Swap the flour for gluten free flour, and add in a few extra ingredients and you have yourself a delicious gluten free cornbread!
- Cornmeal is the base for the delicious cornbread. I personally use Aunt Jemima yellow corn meal.
- Gluten free flour is the second main ingredient for cornbread.
- Buttermilk helps add a different flavor than regular milk would. This is not to say that you cannot use regular milk if you are in a pinch.
If you would prefer to use buttermilk but do not have any, take the same amount of milk needed and add about 2 tablespoons of vinegar or lemon juice. This will make a sour milk similar to buttermilk.
- Butter! Butter helps give the cornbread moisture, while giving it a delicious buttery flavor.
- Eggs help keep everything together.
- Jalapenos are an optional ingredient, but help give the cornbread more flavor and a bit of spice.
- Cheddar cheese for the cheese lovers out there because cheese makes everything better.
- Some may like to add corn to the cornbread to add a different texture to the cornbread.
Quick and Easy Cornbread Steps
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F.
- Mix your dry ingredients in one bowl.
- Mix the wet ingredients in a separate bowl.
- Combine the dry and wet ingredients.
Why Use a Cast Iron Skillet for Cornbread?
Making jalapeno cheddar cornbread in a cast iron skillet gives the outside a buttery crust! Before adding the cornbread batter to the skillet, heat up the skillet in the oven for 5-10 minutes. Just before you pour in the cornbread batter, spread butter all over the skillet. Once the cornbread is poured in, you will hear a beautiful sizzle that will start the process of the buttery crispy crust!
Homemade Gluten Free Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and diced
- 1 1/2 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 eggs
Preheat your oven to 400 F degrees.
Take your 12 inch cast iron skillet and spray it with cooking spray, and coat lightly with cornmeal to prevent the cornbread from sticking.
In a large mixing bowl, combine your dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt) and mix until combined.
Add in grated cheese and diced jalapenos. Mix until there is an even coat on the cheese and jalapenos.
In a separate mixing bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, honey and butter.
Mix the liquid mixture with the dry mixture. Mix until combined. Pour into the cast iron skillet. Top with extra jalapenos and cheese if desired.
Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick can be stuck in the center and come out clean.
Top with butter, serve and enjoy!
Eat your cornbread with some extra butter or honey on top for the perfect side dish! Store leftover cornbread in an airtight container and store it at room temperature. Eat within 2-3 days after making it.
What to Eat With Jalapeno Cheddar Cornbread?
I personally love to eat cornbread with fried chicken! Try this easy gluten free oven fried chicken with this cornbread!