Crispy, juicy, oven fried chicken is the a delicious meal for the Southern food lovers who want to eat healthier, or want to try something new with their chicken dinners! This easy gluten free oven fried chicken will be a keeper!
I live in a house of 7 people. When everyone eats dinner together I like to make sure it is on the healthier side to make sure everyone eats some sort of a healthy meal everyday. This chicken is an amazing way to eat fried chicken without feeling bloated and full afterwords thanks to the gluten free flour and not frying the chicken in oil, and not have a ridiculous amount of breading on it.
- Boneless, skinless chicken thighs – I prefer boneless chicken thighs to make life easier on everyone with a family of 7. Bone in would not hurt! Skin on would not hurt either! It can be a bit tricky to get a nice crisp on the skin, and I prefer the easy and fast route to cooking.
- Buttermilk – Buttermilk serves as the base for the marinade. The buttermilk sticks to chicken easier than milk helping the seasonings soak in
- If you do not have buttermilk at home, you can easily make your own with milk and lemon juice or vinegar. Take the same amount of milk needed and add about 1 tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice. This will make a sour milk similar to buttermilk.
- Hot Sauce – I personally use Frank’s RedHot Original hot sauce, but any type of hot sauce will work.
- Gluten Free Flour – There are many different gluten free flours on the market. You can use a gluten free flour mix, or almond flour, oat flour, brown rice flour, and more.
- Seasonings – Feel free to use whatever seasonings you like in this mix! My go to for any meat is always Lawry’s Seasoning Salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
What is the Best Gluten Free Flour to Use?
There are many gluten free flours on the market that are out there for you to try. Some brands you could try using are Bob Red Mill, King Arthur, Pillsbury, Krusteaz and my personal favorite that I have tried so far, Cup4Cup.
Why Use Gluten Free Flour?
I use gluten free flour because it does not make you feel full and bloated after eating. There are multiple reasons why I personally eat gluten free more often than not for health purposes.
Can You Add Cornstarch?
Cornstarch can be added to help create a crispier breading on the chicken. Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to your flour and seasoning when you are ready to coat the chicken.
Easy Instructions to Make Fried Chicken
- Combine chicken with milk, hot sauce, and seasoning in a sealable plastic bag. Let rest in the fridge for 2 hours to marinate and soak up the delicious flavors.
- Take chicken out of the bag, dunk in gluten free flour, and place on a wire rack that is placed inside of a baking sheet with sides.
- Bake chicken for 30 minutes at 450 degrees F flipping halfway through.
- Remove from oven and enjoy!
Gluten Free Oven Fried Chicken
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (regular milk works fine as well)
- 4 tbsp Louisiana hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free flour
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper
- In a reclosable plastic bag, add chicken thighs, buttermilk, Louisiana hot sauce, chili powder, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika, and salt and pepper.
- Seal the bag and massage thoroughly until the ingredients are well mixed and the chicken is coated. Place in the fridge for 2-3 hours.
- After 2-3 hours have passed, preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Take a baking pan with sides and place a wire cooling rack in it.
- Pour roughly 1-2 cups of gluten free flour into a bowl or plate. I add salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder to give the coating some flavor as well. One at a time, take the chicken out of the plastic bag and coat both sides with flour.
- Place the floured chicken on the wire cooling rack and bake for 15-20 minutes, then take a pair of tongs and flip over to ensure the baking is even. Bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest for 5 minutes. Serve, and enjoy!
How Long is Leftover Chicken Good for?
Leftover chicken can be refrigerated for roughly 2-3 days before I would start questioning the chicken. I prefer to toss old food after a few days or not even worry about saving it because I know I will not eat leftovers.
How to Reheat Your Fried Chicken
Reheating chicken can be tricky and can sometimes make the chicken taste funny. When I reheat chicken, I almost always put it in the oven. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Place your chicken on a baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes. This will heat the chicken slow and low to ensure a natural chicken flavor, and will crisp the skin to give you a nice crunch. Using a microwave will often give chicken a slightly off taste, and will make the skin soft.
What to Eat Alongside Fried Chicken
You can eat whatever you’d like with your fried chicken! Grill up some corn on the cob! Make some cheesy potatoes. My new favorite is jalapeno cheddar cornbread! Who doesn’t love some cornbread, butter and fried chicken!